Big Maintenance & Migrate to come

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Hey everyone !

In the perspective of the continuity to development of our forum and optimization of it, we need to do some maintenance tasks.

This will impact all our sites/services, they will not be available during short time as possible. Normally not superior at few hours.

Why this maintenance ?

We are face to technical issue, as you know the majority of our sites, services and data is hosted on a dedicated server named Jade.
All user upload, pictures, videos, avatars, etc. is hosted on Jade, and this take more and more space.
Forum footfetishforum.com: 300Go
UPload upload.footfetishforum.com: 150Go

To secure lost data in case of big problem, we have scheduled 2 sort of backup; 1 daily incremental backup, 1 monthly full backup.
The full backup takes between 7 to 12 hours to do.
This take a lot of server resource, this is long, and in case of we need to restore this will take a lot of time due the size of the backup.
During the backup our service is slow, errors can occur, error 520 etc.

To solve it, we will migrate all user upload to another server (cloud storage)

Currently we are doing tests in the backend, when this is done, we will be ready to do the maintenance.

In the first time, we will start with the forum.
This implies that the forum will be shutdown during this maintenance.

Also, we have some software update to do on the forum & on Jade and to finish a reboot of Jade.

I'll update this thread to keep you informed of the progress.

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I started transferring some data of forum on the cloud storage, this step will take 2-3 days due to a limitation;
must not exceed 150Go of transfer in the last 24h to not have bandwidth restriction.

When this will done, I'll can configure the forum to use the cloud storage instead of local storage. For it, the forum will be in maintenance and I'll sync the new data on the cloud.

And a lot of something else to do ! I'll keep you informed.

Working Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles GIF

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Yesterday we have transfert ~128Go of data on the cloud,
Today we plan to transfer ~132Go.
Then, tomorrow we will transfer the rest of data. After that we will be able to do the forum maintenance.

Reactions: Pillman

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Ok, so, tomorrow the Saturday 09/25 at around 2:00 AM (UTC−4) I'll start the maintenance. The forum will be shutdown during this.

Step of this maintenance:
1) Shutdown the forum
2) Sync the newest data to the cloud
3) Setup the forum to use cloud storage
4) Testing & Reopening of the forum

If all work fine, I'll maybe do some others maintenance task.

Reactions: Pillman

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The maintenance is done, this have taken 1h30.

From now, all photos, videos, profile pic/banner etc.. is stocked on the cloud.

If you find any image missing, do not hesitate to report it.

In the next few days, I'll do another maintenance to free up storage on Jade, reboot it etc. And in the future, this will be the turn of upload.footfetishforum.com to migrate all upload on the cloud.

Luzik

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Today a maintenance on Jade was done successfully, some package update, rescheduled the backup, bug fix etc...

A small reboot was done after over 340 days of runtime. Jade is now fresh to serve you !

Now the forum backup size is only 330M and take less 4 minutes to be done. Previous 275Go for 5 hour 30 min.

Some other maintenance will be done in the future to prepare upload.footfetishforum.com to migrate.
I'll keep you informed.

Tik Tok Dancing GIF

Reactions: smoothsoles